Pages

Friday, September 5, 2014

I will retire in Salento, Colombia.

 

Salento is a sleepy little agricultural town (it grows primarily coffee) in between Medellin and Bogota in Colombia and it is incredible.


Our pictures don't convey how charming this town is. It only has about 4,000 residents and maybe twenty streets. And there are gorgeous views on all sides.

Tejo is a sport in Colombia where the player throws a heavy metal disc into a pit of clay pit. There's little pieces of paper fille with gunpowder that the player tries to hit. It is customary to drink beer while you are doing this. It's awesome.

And since Colombia is dirt cheap (but probably not for long!) you can get gourmet meals like above, including two drinks for under twenty dollars total. By the way, that's filet mignon wrapped in bacon in red wine sauce. Sooooooo good.

There are a surprising number of things to do I'm Salento considering its size.

We went on a 3.5 hour horse ride. My wife was excited to go and I went mostly to make her happy, but I've got to say that I'm a believer. Riding horses is pretty fun.

 

Now to the not so great part. My wife and I took a hike that was supposed to last 4.5 hours but we took a wrong turn and we're hiking for 8.5 hours. It took us over a week to recover. But now we can honestly say we've been lost in the Colombian jungle. Plus is was magnificent scenery.

Salento is probably my personal favorite place we visited in Colombia, which is surprising since I'm a city boy since birth. The beauty there is all encompassing and relentless. Off to Barcelona!

 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

The food looks great! Oh... so much for WW :/
Getting lost in the jungle??? Really??? That's a bit scary for this mom here in the US!! <3

Horse backing riding is a lot of fun. I took you when you were about 5 years old and you did not have a good time because you were afraid of the horses :(

Love to both of you. Be safe and don't get lost! I can't wait until you two get home and I can hear all the fun stories.

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About